All Posts

To see all flags published, click here.

Nov 19, 2012

Hawaii

Now it's time of Hawaii flag to be analyzed.















[Current flag]
I'm sure it's a great flag. Its design is highly recognizable, but still simple. But it carries a great issue: the Union Jack, i.e., the flag of a sovereign country other than USA, moreover in a prominent position.

My proposal is inspired in Hawaii governor flag, that, except for its writing, is a great flag. I altered the number of stars to nine, to match the number of stripes, that has the same symbolism: the number of main islands in Hawaiian archipelago. It's the result:















[My proposed flag]
Now it looks more like an American flag than a British ensign, but I know Hawaiians will never forget their historic relationship with British crown.

Or, if prefer, the same eight-stars arrangement from governor's flag:















[My proposed flag]
By the way, I'm inviting you to know the proposals I made to each one of Hawaiian main islands.

Your comment is welcome! Please, don't forget to follow blog progress.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think the Union Jack would be considered such an issue here, as it would for actual former British colonies like Australia or New Zealand.

    This was the flag of the independent Hawaiian kingdom, deliberately combining UK and US elements, long before it was the flag of a US state. So removing the UK elements, which are ancient history in this case, might ironically be seen by locals as exacerbating the symbolism of US mainland domination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A re-fix will be considered, but I think separate autonomic Hawaiian flags and official Hawaiian flag could be a case. See some examples: [1] - [2] - [3] - [4]

      Delete